Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 11 June 2010

Remarkable Story of Maternal Faith and Love

Tenor Andrea Bocelli
...interrupted a show to recount a 'little story' of how a pregnant woman was admitted to hospital with appendicitis.

After being treated, the doctors suggested the woman should consider an abortion, the Italian singer revealed to his audience.

They had told her it was the 'best solution'.

'But the young brave wife decided not to abort, and the child was born,' he said. 'That woman was my mother, and I was the child.'

He added: 'Maybe I'm partisan, but I can say that it was the right choice.'

Bocelli, 51, does not explain why doctors recommended an abortion at a time when it was still illegal in Italy. The present law dates from 1978. [I wondered the same thing at the beginning of the story, but also know that people have always and everywhere been able to procure abortions, from real doctors]
(I should note, I'm not much of a fan the man's singing - but what a wonderful testament of faith!)

No comments: